Wednesday 20 October 2010

Horror Movies & Influences


Horror Films are unsettling films designed to frighten and panic, cause dread and alarm, and to invoke our hidden worst fears, often in a terrifying, shocking finale, while captivating and entertaining us at the same time in a cathartic experience. Horror films effectively center on the dark side of life, the forbidden, and strange and alarming events. They deal with our most primal nature and its fears: our nightmares, our vulnerability, our alienation, our revulsions, our terror of the unknown, our fear of death and dismemberment, loss of identity, or fear of sexuality.

Whatever dark, primitive, and revolting traits that simultaneously attract and repel us are featured in the horror genre. Horror films are often combined with science fiction when the menace or monster is related to a corruption of technology, or when Earth is threatened by aliens. The fantasy and supernatural film genres are not synonymous with the horror genre, although thriller films may have some relation when they focus on the revolting and horrible acts of the killer/madman. Horror films are also known as chillers, scary movies, spookfests, and the macabre.




Influences For My Trailer


Looking at and researching horror movies through the decades I have decided to focus in on the subgenre of the Zombie film. I have look at many zombie films and narrowed my favourites down to the following two films, 'The Crazies' and 'Dawn of the Dead'. I have decided to study zombie films as this is a very popular category among my target audience. The vast majority of zombie movies are certificate 15 and this is what I am using for my film.
Below are the trailers for my two major influences:

The Crazies:





Dawn of the Dead (Here is the link for this trailer as embeding was disabled on youtube):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LUzJAsa-gg

I really like both of these trailers as they follow the structure of a horror trailer; a scene being establishes, something bad happening forcing the main characters to try and overcome an obstable, and then that thing that keeps the audience interested; will the obstacle be overcome? Both trailers are fast-paced and also fit in with my chosen subgenre of a zombie movie. These two trailers will influence me a lot and I will refer to them when creating my own trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment